Wild Orangutan Tour at Ketambe
- 5 Days
5 Days Wild Orangutan Tour, explore the Ketambe jungle trekking inside Gunung Leuser National Park, Sumatra. There are only very few places in Indonesia where you still can observe REAL WILD Orangutans in their natural habitat. One is in Ketambe, part of the Gunung Leuser National Park. The possibility to see wild orangutans in the rainforest during the Ketambe jungle trekking is nearly 100 percent.
The Hidden Paradise for Wild Orangutans of Sumatra
Ketambe is a small, quiet, and remote village in the south of Aceh. Besides Bukit Lawang in North Sumatra, Ketambe is an official entrance to the Gunung Leuser National Park to see wild Sumatra Orangutans, black and white-handed Gibbons, Hornbills, Thomas Leaf Monkey, Pig Tail Monkey as well as the exotic Rafflesia Arnoldi and others endemic fauna and flora of Sumatra as well as hundreds of huge tree, clean and freshwater river as well as hot water spring deep in the dense tropical rain forest. It’s a hidden paradise for wildlife lovers.
Ketambe is a small but charming village, it’s NOT SO TOURISTIC PLACE but a blessing with the rich rare fauna and flora of Sumatra. Jungle Trekking Ketambe to explore the beauty of the dense tropical rainforest of Sumatra.
Best time for Wild Orangutan Tour
Based on experience, the best time to visit Ketambe is between August – December. It’s the fruit season when the wild Sumatran orangutan, Hornbill, Thomas Leaf monkey, and other endemic exotic wildlife of Sumatra forage for food. However, in other months is also possible to visit this area as sometimes the fruit season also changes due to global warming.
If you are traveling out of the fruit season, then you will need to explore deeper into the jungle to meet the wild Orangutan Sumatran.
Ketambe or Bukit Lawang ?
If you really love Sumatra orangutan and other endemic wildlife of Sumatra living free in their natural habitat, you also can combine, Ketambe Jungle Trekking with Bukit Lawang.
As the Ketambe jungle trekking is mostly up and down the hill, crossing the river, more chance of having rain (we will enter the tropical rain forest of Sumatra) we highly suggest using a trekking pole, rubber boots, poncho (rain jacket) always handy at your day pack. Not so many mosquitoes as we will be in the highland but sometimes leeches. Remember that this is the BEST place to spot WILD SUMATRAN ORANGUTAN living free in their natural habitat of Gunung Leuser National Park where the famous actor Leonardo di Caprio spent some of his busiest time visiting this place.
Arrival in the morning at Medan airport, then, we will drive to Kuta Cane for app 9 hrs via the highland of Berastagi.
Berastagi is one of the biggest towns in the Karo Regency and is the main producer of flowers, fruit, and vegetable on the highland.
We may stop at this highland town for personal lunch. Heavy traffic jams may occur every weekend. This highland is one of the favorite holiday destinations for the people living in Medan town.
Kuta Cane is the capital city of South East Aceh regency. The road is half good and half rough at the moment. From Kuta Cane, we proceed to Ketambe village, another 1 hr from the town. From Kuta Cane to Ketambe, the road is slightly bumpy and slippery in the rainy season. We are supposed to arrive there before evening. Our lodge in Ketambe lies just on the beach of the great Alas River, on where we will afloat on the next few days. Stay at Wisma Cinta Damai, a simple but clean lodge. Rest time after hours on the road. Dinner on personal account at the lodge.
We spend 2 days in the Ketambe area trekking /walking in the jungle.
Together with our local guide, we do the trekking in the dense rainforest. The jungle we are visiting is very close to Leuser National Park on Aceh's side. However, as they have more difficult access, the site is more virgin compared to the one at Bahorok (North Sumatera side of Leuser NP). The trail is mainly flat with some easy/slight ascend and descending as well as passing some small rivers. Our local guide will lead you to the site where animal sights are at most. As we spend a long time walking in the jungle, we may have a big chance to encounter the animals in the jungle.
Back to the lodge for overnight.
After breakfast, the raft enters the lushly forested section of the fantastic gorge, the river canyon becomes an amphitheater of rainforest sights and sounds, in which the quality of the silence is superb. There are excellent opportunities for bird and wildlife observation throughout the day, and some refreshing excitement in the form of two mild rapids.
Back to the lodge after the rafting.
TODAY, after breakfast we drive back to Medan, app 9 hrs drive, then fly to. your next destination.
- After breakfast
- we will pack then trekking to search for orangutan and other endemic wildlife of Sumatra. As you may in the jungle you will have the opportunity something different during your trekking.
- We will ascend the hills surrounding with the beautiful trees and always keep our eyes and ear searching for endemic wildlife in this exotic jungle.
- After about another 2 hours, we will arrive at Camp 2 (about 660 M ASL).
- Setting our camp and having lunch. Our Camp is close to the hot spring so you can enjoy this natural hot spring by crossing the river and walk about 5 - 10 minutes away from our camp (depend on which place we set the campsite).
- Trekking around the campsite to search for orangutan and other wildlife.
- Stay overnight at the Camp 2. (B, L, D)
We choose to overnight at Camp 2 as this is the BEST place than Camp 1. Camp 2 has the easiest way to access the water plus you have more time to enjoy the natural hot spring.
- After breakfast
- starting to trek around and passing Camp 3 (790 M ASL) searching for orangutan and other endemic wildlife of Sumatra. You will be impressed with some more hundred of huge trees beside exotic flora and fauna of Sumatra.
- Then we trek to the waterfall (about 705 M ASL)
- having light lunch here.
- Enjoy the fresh waterfall while it is possible also for spotting wildlife.
- In the afternoon, we are going back by a different trail for about 1 – 2 hours to reach the local guest house. We cross the river and trekking back to the guest house. (B, L, D)
- Early breakfast
- Ready to transfer to Medan Airport
- END OF YOUR TRIP
- English speaking guide
- Entrance fee
- Land transport
- Stay at hotel/lodge as per program in twin share basis
- Daily breakfast at hotel / lodge
- National park ranger / local guide
- Air tickets
- Airport tax, airport porter
- Any kinds of insurance
- Laundry, phone call, food and beverage at hotel
- Any other personal expenses
- Tickets for your cameras
- Tailor Made Program
- Flexible Departure Date
- Private Trip