Samboja Lestari Orangutan Sanctuary
- 3 Days / 2 Nights
Samboja Lestari Eco Lodge is a venture of the Borneo Orangutan Survival (BOS) Foundation. Here visitors will be able to gain first-hand knowledge on what is required to rebuild a forest and protest its wildlife, especially in our effort to preserve the rainforest and critical endangered Bornean orangutan. Samboja Lestari Eco lodge’s unique design is based on local architecture. All interior and exterior walls are made from recycled materials. The cosmetic touches are all traditional handicrafts and are produced by local and Dayak communities around the area. It is surrounded by lush vegetation and each room has its own patio or balcony from which to enjoy surrounding forest.
For the time being, Samboja Lestari Eco Lodge has in total 26 rooms completed, 22 standards with Air-conditioning, Two Suite Rooms with Air-conditioning and hot water shower and 2 treetops suites, with a fantastic view, and of course Air conditioning and hot water shower. The Lodge is completed with a towering area to oversee the Jungle area, a Lobby and a Restaurant, laundry service and kitchen facilities, including an Internet access area
- Balikpapan arrival.
- Pick up service then transfer to Samboja Eco Lodge. It takes about 1 – 1 ½ hour or about 45 km in some bumpy road drive depend on the condition of the road.
- Check-in and after lunch, time for you to observe Samboja lodge with such a beautiful surrounding forest.
- Dinner and overnight at the lodge.
- Breakfast at Samboja Eco Lodge.
- walk about 10 minutes or drive away to the Orangutan island to see feeding time.
- Then continue through the Sun Bear Sanctuary to see the activity of the Malayan Sun Bear in the sanctuary.
- Lunch on the lodge
- then we drive about 1 hour to Bukit Bangkirai about 1 ½ hour or 150 km away from Samboja District with some bumpy road. Bangkirai Hill covered 1,500 hectares protected tropical rain forest dominated by Bengkirai Tree with about 40 – 50 m high and diameter 2,3 meter with an average age of the tree about 150 years old. In this place we will observe the typical Borneo rainforest, then soft jungle trekking to enjoy with canopy bridge, the first Canopy Bridge in Indonesia.
- You will spot a very beautiful canopy forest the natural habitat for gibbon, Hornbill, Asian Paradise Flycatcher, red leaf-eating monkey and other endemic wildlife of Borneo from the Canopy Bridge. This bridge was connected between 5 Bangkirai Tree with an elevation of 30 – 40 meters high with totaling length 64 m.
- Back to Samboja Lodge for dinner and overnight.
- After early breakfast (or breakfast box) drive about 1-hour to Sungai Wain, the former releasing site for around 80 orangutans and the home for Malayan sun bear, Proboscis Monkey, 242 birds plus 9 species of Hornbill.
- Arrive in Sungai Wain, we meet the local team and bring us to the jungle searching for all those beautiful creatures. Sungai Wain is one of the preserve jungle close to Balikpapan. The trek is easy and some part a little bit muddy but rich in exotic wildlife.
- After lunch, we drive to Balikpapan for catching your flight to your next destination.
--END OF OUR SERVICES--
- Tailor Made Program
- Flexible Departure Date
- Private Trip