Tangkoko National Park Tour
- 3 Days
- Bird Watching, Wildlife
Tangkoko National Park tour to see a bunch of endemic species that only exist in Sulawesi. There are literally hundreds of Indonesian animal species living in the park. Possibilities to see Sulawesi crested black macaques, rare birds, lizards, snakes, cicadas, and tarsiers. Moreover, you can also see Cuscus bears and huge black tarantulas here.
This nature reserve covers an area of 8,700 hectares and is famous for hundreds of unique animal species living here. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to drive from Manado to Batu Putih Village through a winding jungle road. However, driving to Tangkoko gives you some incredibly scenic views of jungles and volcanoes, making the 2-hour drive seem to go by in just a few minutes.
If you arrive on an afternoon flight you have to skip the Manado Highland Tour and go directly to Tangkoko Nature Reserve from the airport.
Wildlife at Tangkoko National Park
Tangkoko National Park is home to a variety of primates, including the black crested macaque, tarsier, and spectral tarsier. The Tarsius spectrum is the smallest monkey in the world that is endemic to Sulawesi and also the most endangered species. The opportunity to meet the Tarsius is in the afternoon (as they appear after 5.30 PM) or early in the morning. Also, You can find Cuscus bears and lots of birds here. If you are an insect lover you can continue to explore the insects after dinner.
Tangkoko Bird Watching
The park is home to over 100 species of birds, including the endemic Sulawesi hornbill, knobbed hornbill, and maleo bird. The best time to visit Tangkoko National Park is during the dry season, from April to October The weather during this time is pleasant and the birds are more active during this time. Visitors can take guided tours through the park, which can last anywhere from a few hours to a full day. Our knowledgeable guides will lead you through the forest, pointing out the different bird species.
One of the must-see birds in Tangkoko National Park is the Sulawesi hornbill, a large bird with a curved beak and colorful plumage. This bird is an impressive sight as it flies through the forest canopy. In addition, maleo birds are another fascinating species found in Tangkoko National Park. This bird lays its eggs in the sand, which are then incubated by the heat of the sun. Visitors may be lucky enough to witness the maleo bird laying its eggs or see the hatching of the eggs.
For sure, Tangkoko National Park is a must-visit destination for any birdwatcher or nature enthusiast. Of course, you can combine it with birding at Bogani Nani Wartabone National Park.
- Morning Arrival in Manado.
- Meet our guide then directly visit the Mt. Mahawu crater. 10 minutes trekking to the top of the crater you will enjoy the magnificent view of cities of Tomohon and Manado and the islands beyond.
- Visit Woloan village, the center of knock-down Traditional house industry with a stop at Pagoda Buddhist Temple with the flower plantation surround. Chilling down at the beautiful multi-color of Linaw Lake to enjoy the afternoon in a cozy restaurant by the lake sipping coffee with a traditional famous snack of fried banana and other traditional cookies.
- The journey continues to the highland of Minahasa with some stop at the ancient Tomb of Minahasa People (Giant Stone Ages), and the historical World War II Japanese Tunnel System.
- Drive to Tangkoko. (if you arrive with afternoon flight you should skip the Manado Highland tour, and transfer directly to Batu Putih village at Tangkoko)
- Overnight at Tangkoko Homestay. Accommodation Plan: Tangkoko Hill or similar ( only 5 minutes from Tangkoko National Park entrance gate )
- Full day Tangkoko tour
- at 6.00 am, before breakfast, start to explore the endemic species of North Sulawesi at the Tangkoko Nature Reserve. Search for the Black Crested Macaque (Black Monkey indigenous to North Sulawesi), the Tarsier Spectrum (the world’s smallest primate), Cuscus bear, and lots of birds.
- If you are an insect lover you can continue to explore the insects after dinner.
- Overnight at a homestay.
- Accommodation Plan: Tangkoko Lodge or similar non-star hotel (homestay)
- At the appropriate time, you will be transferred to the airport for your flight. If time allows, make a stop in town for souvenir shopping. END OF YOUR TRIP
In this area you will have a big opportunity to see hornbills, and couscous as well as other fauna specific to the reserve.
- Tailor Made Program
- Flexible Departure Date
- Private Trip