Wae Rebo Tour & Komodo Island
- 5 Days
Wae Rebo Village Tour is a unique experience that combines adventure, culture, and nature. Wae Rebo is a UNESCO world heritage site located high in the mountains of Flores Island. The village tour provides a unique opportunity for visitors to experience the traditional lifestyle of the Manggarai people. Also learn about their customs, beliefs, and practices. To add to the experience, the tour includes exploring the home of the famous Komodo dragon.
Wae Rebo Village Cone-Shaped House
Wae Rebo is situated on the top of a mountain that has beautiful nature and breathtaking scenery. Their houses are cone-shaped, and constructed using traditional methods and materials. The roofs are made of thatched palm leaves, and the walls are made of bamboo.
Composed of seven traditional houses, every house is arranged in a circular pattern, representing their spiritual beliefs. This type of housing is a symbol of the community’s unity, as they work together to maintain their culture and traditions. It is an excellent example of how a community can preserve its cultural heritage while embracing modernity.
During the Wae Rebo tour, visitors can participate in cultural activities with the locals. Furthermore, visitors can also learn about the community’s agricultural practices. Through the cultural immersion tour, visitors can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of the Manggarai culture and their way of life.
The traditional culture and architecture of the village make this destination a must-see for anyone interested in Indonesian culture and history. This trip offers travelers the opportunity to connect with local communities.
- Welcome to Labuan Bajo!
- Arrive at Komodo airport of Labuan Bajo, you will be welcomed by your local guide
- Drive to Dintor village for a scenic 3 – 4 hours drive through the south coast of Flores island.
- En route to Dintor, we stop at Lembor village for a coffee break. Arrive in Dintor, check in at a small but clean homestay.
- Check-in at your accommodation
Accommodation plan: Wae Rebo Lodge at Dintor Meals plan: Lunch, Dinner
- Breakfast at the lodge.
- Check out and proceed to Denge village, the starting point to Wae Rebo village
- Hike uphill to Wae Rebo village takes around 3 hours or depends on your fitness level. We will make a few stops along the view to enjoy the view and take some pictures.
- Arrive in Wae Rebo village, we visit Mbaru Gendang - the main house for a welcome ceremony led by chief of the village
- Stay overnight in a coned-shape communal house. Mattress, pillow, and blanket will be provided.
- Dinner will be served by the villagers in communal dining style
- If the weather is fine, you can go outside and enjoy the starry sky
Accommodation plan: Traditional house, Wae Rebo Village Meals plan: Lunch, Dinner
- Spend your morning in the village
- After breakfast, we say goodbye to the villagers and hike down to Denge Village where the car is waiting
- Drive back to Labuan Bajo with lunch en route
- Arrive in Labuan Bajo by late afternoon or evening
- Check-in at your hotel in Labuan Bajo for overnight stay
Accommodation plan: Hotel in Labuan Bajo Meals plan: Breakfast Lunch
- Check out from the hotel and proceed to the port of Labuan Bajo to embark on your private boat
- Off to Rinca Island of Komodo, the second largest island in Komodo National park, which takes around 2 hours journey passing through the picturesque scenery
- En route to Rinca Island, we stop at Kelor Island for snorkeling. For those with a good physical condition can hike up the hill to enjoy the breathtaking view from the top of the island.
- Afterward, we visit Rinca Island. You will be given a safety briefing by the national park trekking ranger before leaving to track the Komodo dragon and other wildlife inhabiting the island.
- Return to the boat lunch. Enjoy the fresh and healthy meals prepared specially for you by the crew
- Then we slowly cruising to Kalong Island (Flying Fox Island). In the late afternoon, you enjoy an amazing display of thousands of flying foxes flying out of the island in search of food while the sun is setting down.
Accommodation plan: Boat type of your choice (FAN Cabin / AC Cabin/ Luxury Boat) Meals plan: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Enjoy your morning in Komodo National park
- We slowly make our way to Labuan Bajo. Visit Manjerite Island for the last snorkeling activity before returning to Labuan Bajo
- Inappropriate time we return to Labuan Bajo and drop you to your next stop (airport or hotel in Labuan Bajo)
A small isolated village surrounded by tropical rainforest vegetation, Wae Rebo is not just another traditional village. The village above the clouds, as people called it, is hidden at 1.200m altitudes. Wae Rebo village is reachable by 3-hour hike from Denge, the nearest village. Hiking in the same trail as the villagers, you will meet them carrying heavy loads of food supplies they buy from local market. There is no market available in the village, the villagers need to walk for miles to buy food supply.
- All land transfers
- English speaking guide
- 1 night stay in Wae Rebo Lodge
- 1 night stay in a traditional house in Wae Rebo village
- 1 night stay in the hotel in Labuan Bajo
- 1 night stay on the boat
- Meals plan mentioned on itinerary (see B: breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner)
- All donation and entrance fee
- National park trekking ranger
- Snorkeling gear
- All activities mentioned on the program
- Airfares, airport taxes and airport porter
- Travel Insurance
- Laundry, phone call, tipping
- Other personal expenses
- Any expenses incurred due to the flight delay or cancellation or due to other cause beyond our control
- Tailor Made Program
- Flexible Departure Date
- Private Trip